Skip to main content

Body Fat and Vacationing

Today I checked my body fat percentage. I’m happy to say that I’ve gained 13 pounds
of muscle over the last three months. However, I’ve also gained about 11 pounds of fat. That
gives me an overall body fat percentage of 23.7%. Now, that isn’t altogether bad, but it can use
some improvement. I can blame vacation, bulking or what have you, but I don’t eat as well as I
ought to.
Anyway, moving on. I have been experiencing some muscle tightness. I’m tight as a
drum really and I suppose that is to be expected considering what I’m doing at the gym. So, I
consulted with another trainer at the gym I work at, Janet, because she is a trainer and yogi.
She showed me some yoga poses that have been immensely helpful. Pigeon, runners pose and
others. You see, my tightness is centered around my posterior chain, ie lumbar area, glutes and
hamstrings. So, the poses she prescribed are to help lessen tension in those areas and open up
the hips. I can tell you that today I did back squats and it felt really good. I’m also not as tight as
I have been, even after training.
Speaking of training. Over the next few weeks I am planning on getting some videos of
my form, sticking points and any sort of hitch in my giddy-up so that I can make corrections in
the big 3 lifts (squat, bench and deadlift). The gym I am working at has agreed to sponsor me in
my first powerlifting competition I’m pretty damn excited about that. That competition is being
held in December. So, training for that event will begin very soon. I’ll probably be a stubborn ass
as usual and train to hard, but I want to do well. They goal is at least a 1,215 total. Guess I’ll be
working on it

Comments